most likely you didn't optimize mysql

most work sqlbox is being done on INSERT rather than SELECT and DELETE, try
using INSERT DELAYED instead of INSERT in SQLBOX_MYSQL_INSERT_QUERY in
gw/sqlbox_mysql.h or optimize your MySQL setup.

try also to test kannel's speed without sqlbox involved at all without
database, might be a problem on your smsc operator side as well.