I do use it.

It's not really that fast actually. I did few tests, smsbox was much faster
than sqlbox with reports turned on (bearerbox was configured to store
reports in sql as well in both cases).

There was a guy on the lists with memcached support, hopefully someone will
add it and share to the kannel developers (it's not really hard to
implement - but I'm not that good in C).