>> Hi
>>
>> Thank you! I finally got things working. Few notes I hope someone fixes.
>>
>> 1. Documentation is bit old, for example table 7.2 is outdated.
>> I'am using modem, so nowdays at2 smsc module. It does support dlr!
>>

> Did you build documentation for kannel from trunk or where did you look?

No, I used,
http://kannel.org/download/1.4.4/userguide-1.4.4/userguide.html#AEN2930

couse I'm using latest stable release that debian includes

>> 2. getting fully functional DLR setup for me was lack of smsc-id
>> parameter
>> for my smsc config group!
>>  This was actually easy to realize from the config I attached
>>

> I'm sorry, but I think you didn't state this in your original e-mail.

Oh Yes I did, it's not there, see at the bottom. But maybe it wasn't that
obvious.

> [...]
>> vendor, so here, this community should maintenance this product. This
>> really isn't statage now. development release is six years old, and last
>> stable build more than two years. Those figures indicate that this
>> product
>> is still dead.
>>

> Kannel isn't dead at all. You can use just fine code from SVN - it's
> production ready.
>
> The reason behind slow releases - I think because development is bit
> conservative and devs don't have much time to roll out new release every
> week.
> Most fixed althrough are pushed immediately if reported to SVN.
>
> You can direct your thoughts about release cycle and development updates
> devel@ list.
>

>> 4. what is role of this sqlbox? it's quite handy peace of cake. could it
>> be adopted in the kannel? I'm not using OpenSMPP but it is also tight
>> outside plugin, At least documentation should be arranged so that it is
>> easy to configure whole system.
>>

> The role of sqlbox is to store messages in the database. Basic kannel
> functionality is bearerbox and smsbox. Bearerbox is a main application
> which handles SMSC connections and routing. Whilst smsbox is a plugin just
> like sqlbox which allows you to submit a message to SMSC. The reason
> behind
> this is to make this system as much as possible module-extended, so you
> can
> write any plugin for bearerbox.
>
> Fresh documentation for sqlbox also can be built at compilation time.
>

>> 5. binary releases, I'm using debian, and debian people have been nice
>> and
>> compiled kannel to us. As they do with sqlbox. sqlbox nicely works with
>> planty of different sql engines, only thing is that you cannot choose by
>> config witch backend to use. This makes binary releases quite useless.
>> Using binary releases is my choice: this gives me peace of mind, that sw
>> is secure and maintenanced properly. This really isn't true now, whom to
>> blame?
>>

> I'm afraid it's a common practice nowadays that you need to maintain
> packages yourself or ask someone to provide packages for you. Build
> scripts
> you can get at debian.org and adjust them for SVN version.
> As I said earlier development is bit conservative so new version comes
> when
> some of the devs is not busy and got free time to roll out a new version.
> Kannel is a specific piece of software it's like some codebase (e.g. like
> redmine or something) so it's better to have your own packages for kannel
> instead of using pre-built cause they might be out of date because of
> debian strict update policy.
>
> Sqlbox config determines which engine you're using and you can build
> different DB support for sqlbox, but of course you need this support
> built-in base kannel package otherwise sqlbox won't compile for you.

I'm afraid it is _not_ a common practice to compile your kernel, libc,
databases and even kannel by yourself. that's why distos are so common.

For kannel it seems so, svn actually is stable and to read documentation I
should compile it. Sorry but I disagree.

>> Thanks again for your help, I got this thing up and running. Finally my
>> choice is going to be selfmade peace of sw that save outgoing messages
>> and
>> handles DLR requests. This allows me to use binary packages, and
>> postgresql, no selfcompiled sqlbox or bit quirky database triggers.
>>

> Well, it's your choice, open source software offers you plenty of
>  choices.. You can use any if you like.
>
> For performance tho I'd recommend using sqlbox with bearerbox without any
> smsbox (http hook procesing) if everything is handled on 1 host.

Thnx, I'll keep that in mind, currently I'm handling couple of messages
hourly so performance is not that big issue. Most ipmortant thing is easy
maintenance and stable secure service.