Tobias Ringström wrote:
> I'm using two 1280x1024 displays rotated 90 degrees with an Nvidia
> graphics card, and I was very impressed by Fedora 12, because it was the
> first Fedora release where I could get this setup working without using
> Nvidia's closed source driver, and I didn't even have to fiddle with
> xorg.conf. After a few very intuitive changes in
> gnome-display-properties, it was just perfect.
>
> There's only one problem, and it's that the display settings are per
> user, and I can't even find a way to change the settings for the login
> screen.
>
> Why would anyone even want user specific display settings? Are users
> expected to move monitors around between logging in? Per user settings
> might be useful as a feature, but it's a very unfriendly default, or am
> I missing something?

I think maybe you've not considered....

I tend to use only one user account for myself and my wife uses one.  I
have always worn glasses and my progressive lens are such that my left
eye's prescription is for monitor use while the right is for books and
such.  I love running my monitor at 2018x1152.  My wife doesn't wear
glasses even though she really should.  So, she wants hers at a lower
resolution.

On my test system, where I have various user accounts that I use for
various things I want to have a system wide default.  For that, I rely
on the xorg.conf to provide that and never have to invoke user preferences.

On the WinXP system also share you are constrained to system wide
settings.  We are constantly chiding each other to change the settings
back to the other's settings.  Kind of like the toilet seat....  :-)