On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:51:47 +0000 (UTC), Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:

> >> "dnf --refresh" is more like "dnf clean expire-cache", which sometimes
> >> gives additional updates to plain "dnf upgrade", but there still seems
> >> some caching involved that keeps it from providing all updates available.
> >
> > Doubtful.
> >
> > "dnf update --refresh" here (Rawhide) always redownloads the metadata.
> > That's behaviour like running after "dnf clean metadata",
> > not "dnf clean expire-cache". [1]
>
> Neither "dnf --refresh upgrade" nor "dnf clean expire-cache;dnf upgrade"
> will try to download the base Fedora data (F22). Only "dnf clean metadata"
> plus "dnf upgrade" force a full refresh.

Rawhide. I refer to Rawhide! I cannot afford spending time on this issue
with F22 in addition to Rawhide.

"dnf --refresh update" here **always** redownloads the metadata.

> Just try it out. "--refresh" and "clean expire-cache" result in the same.
> That also matches the documentation. Both set the metadata some kind of
> expired but don't really remove the data.

Once more: doubtful. Whether "--refresh" doesn't remove the metadata is not
of interest, since it redownloads it afterwards anyway.

And whether it "matches the documentation" remains to be seen. I haven't
examined the implementation. Does --refresh really do anything to confirm
the checksum of the metadata cache before deciding to redownload? Then why
does it redownload always here?