On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 15:23 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
How can one tell sort to chose the last word in the line as the sort
key?

You can't. Field specifiers are relative to the start of the line.
There
isn't a way to specify them relative to the end of the line.
In awk NF is the number of fields in the line, so it's also the index
of the last field (fields are numbered from 1). Just a thought.

poc
Yep!
I used it in a shell script to achieve what I wanted, and it worked just fine.