On 11/27/15 15:05, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a fedora22 SuperMicro system operating as a mail server that
> has no need to have the CPU throttled. I'm having trouble figuring out
> how to disable the throttling. There also doesn't appear to be any
> recent threads discussing this previously.
>
> It appears some are running at full speed while others are not:
>
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep Hz
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 1875.187
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 2188.687
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 2399.906
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 1475.812
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 2075.437
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 2340.750
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 1262.062
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
> cpu MHz         : 2111.812

My understanding of CPU throttling allows the CPUs to run at full speed
when they are busy, and to be throttled back when they are idle.

Are you sure that each CPU was engaged in doing work when you queried
their speeds?

It is designed to allow laptops to idle (and not generate as much heat)
when they don't have to.  It is *not* a permanent throttling back of the
CPUs denying you possible better computing speeds.  Instead it is
designed to have the CPUs (cores) generate less heat when they are not busy.

I have a CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor installed in a panel on my
laptop, and I can watch the CPU speeds change (increase and decrease)
with the workloads as processes come and go.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjch...@verizon.net