Once upon a time, SternData <subscribed-li...@sterndata.com> said:
> Years ago, I used a tool called CED and PCED on DOS systems.  I could
> type in "abc" and press an up-arrow and it would walk back through my
> stack of DOS commands showing only those with "abc" in them.
>
> There's *got* to be a similar tool for bash, but my google-fu is weak today.

control-R is bound to reverse-search-history by default.  That will
search anywhere in previous commands, so for example typing "s" followed
by ^R would show matches for "ls".

If instead you want to search for commands with the same start (so just
typing "s" would only show commands that started with "s"), you want
history-search-backward, which is bound to PageUp on Fedora (not bound
by default upstream IIRC).

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>