On 06/27/2016 02:58 PM, jdow wrote:
> The release number is a part of the kernel name. It takes a wee bit of
> knowledge to parse it. For example mine contains
> "2.6.32-573.12.1.el6.x86_64" The ".el6" is the effective release number
> (Enterprise Linux). In actuality it's Scientific Linux SL6. The other
> suggestion gives me "Scientific Linux release 6.6 (Carbon)". (It's not
> quite time for me to go to 6.7. I am waiting a bit until potential
> problems can be attacked with minimum affect on our work here.)

Uh, again, that's the kernel version, not the OS release version
(/etc/issue or /etc/redhat-release or /etc/fedora-release). You can run
an F23 kernel on an F24 system easily (or vice-versa). You can even run
a kernel that's built from a source tarball that has no "fcXX" or "elX"
stuff at all, so while MOST of the time the kernel and the OS release
track each other, there's absolutely no guarantee that they do.

Taking my cursory look at the system-upgrade plugin, it appears that it
looks at the file I mentioned to figure out which version it currently
is and where you want it to go. I've never dug through it that closely,
but that seems to be what it does. I could be wrong (and probably am).