On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 05:02:57PM +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 09:53 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> > > I also find the dongle sometimes doesn't power on after returning
> > from
> > > hibernation. Haven't found a fix for that other than keeping an
> > extra
> > > mouse so I can enable it manually.
> > >

> > If is any consolation, my new iMac also requires that I keep a USB
> > mouse
> > handy for the same reason.  Curiously, the wireless keyboard is
> > generally
> > (but not always) recognized, but sometimes I have to borrow a USB
> > keyboard
> > to log in.
>
> The spare mouse I keep is in fact part of a cheap Microsoft wireless
> kb/mouse combo that also works via a dongle, and which has literally
> never failed to start. I think the difference is that the dongle
> emulates a USB mouse and kb directly, but there's essentially no
> documentation for it so that's a guess.
>
> (Before you ask: I prefer the feel of my BT mouse, especially for
> scrolling, which is why I don't use the MS one except when forced to).

Agreed, their scrollwheel sucks.  Plus they never seem to have
left and right tilt.  I use that to flip between workspaces.

BTW the Broadcom BT adapter in my laptop seems to present as
a USB device:

$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation
Bus 003 Device 009: ID 0a5c:4503 Broadcom Corp. Mouse (Boot Interface Subclass)
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0a5c:4502 Broadcom Corp. Keyboard (Boot Interface
Subclass)
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of
BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com