On 09/08/2016 04:31 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2016 10:44:59 +0100
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I don't understand why dnf (and yum before it)
don't give any idea what is happening during this pause,
which as you say can be quite long.

I also often wonder what the heck it is doing during that
long pause. I see the CPU hit 100% while it is doing it,
but have no idea what might be going on in there.

It's RPM running all the postinst scripts, so depending on what those do, it can take a long time. For example with kernel packages, it creates the initramfs using dracut.