Hello Paul,

On 09/06/2016 01:53 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Paul Smith <phh...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was able to connect to a vpn server (PPTP) with no difficulties. But
now, I get always the following message:

"VPN connection failed because service stopped".

From a MS Windows machine, I can connect to the referred vpn server.

Could someone please help me?

The following log may help you:

The problem was related to the firewall, although I had not changed
anything in the firewall.

The following (done as root) fixed the problem:

firewall-cmd --direct --add-rule ipv4 filter INPUT 0 -p gre -j ACCEPT
firewall-cmd --direct --add-rule ipv6 filter INPUT 0 -p gre -j ACCEPT
firewall-cmd --reload

You can simply duplicate the lines with the additional --permanent option, then the change will be placed in the permanent environment.

With a firewalld version >= 0.4.1 you can also enable the gre protocol in a
zone:

firewall-cmd --add-protocol=gre [--permanent] [--zone=<zone>]

This will then be added for IPv4 and IPv6. Without the --zone option, the default zone will be used.

Paul

Regards,
Thomas