> What version of Fedora are you using?

F24 x86_64 (clean install). It doesn't use that much memory for me - I have 16
GB, and after a day or so it gets to as high as 2%, restarting gets it down to
about 0.8%. I got into the habit when the machine had less memory and it would
get up to around 10%. My original post was just to mention restarting, in case
the OP was unaware of it - it's easy to do, unlike logging out or rebooting.
Even if it used a lot more, I wouldn't bother changing desktops because of it,
unless it got wedged somehow if I forgot to restart.