On 10/18/2016 03:11 PM, bruce wrote:
> Hi Samuel.
> Yes. My bad, The child term, is started by firing up the term as root,
> and then doing a su into the foo user. At which point, the test then
> does a
>    firefox -p

Make sure you do one of the following commands to do the su:

        su - foo        --OR--
        su -l foo       --OR--
        su --login foo

The "-", "-l" or "--login" parameter makes su change the spawned shell
into a login shell:

        o clears all the environment variables except TERM
        o initializes the  environment  variables  HOME,  SHELL,
          USER, LOGNAME, and PATH
        o changes to the target user's home directory
        o sets  argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the
          shell a login shell

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:
>> On 10/18/2016 12:57 PM, bruce wrote:
>>> Test laptop. login as root, start FF from the menu no prob.
>>> Start a term as user foo. Try to start FF from the term, and get gconf
>>> errors.
>> How are you starting the terminal?  It sounds like you are root, but trying
>> to run a terminal using a different user.  You have to be very careful as
>> some environment variables and such get carried over and can cause issues
>> with the new user session.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ri...@alldigital.com -
-        Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.       -