hey guys...

Ok. logged out as user foo.. which got back to "root"

did a
  su - foo..

which got back to the term as the "foo" user..

was then able to do "firefox" from the cmd line. which fired up firefox.

O.. making a bit o' progress..

The tests ran as expected.. ...

Now, here's my next issue.:::

I do a ssh using keys into a remote term as user foo.

What needs to be done in the ssh, or on the remote box to be able to
"login/access" the remote box as the foo user in order to run firefox
there?

Thanks much guys..