On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 04:27:37PM +0100, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 26.11.2016, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> > /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-autohint.conf
>
> Thanks a lot, you saved my day!
>
> But it was not the 10-autohint.conf. When I looked into the
> /etc/fonts/conf.d directory, I noticed a file called
> "10-hinting-slight.conf". After changing it to perform "hintfull", all
> is pretty much sharp and clear, just as it was in pre-F25.

I'm not running Fedora or Gnome at this moment, so I may be barking
up the wrong tree here:

I've always found (on RHEL or centos) that you can right-click on the
desktop background, choose "change desktop background", then click on
the fonts tab. Once there you'll be able to choose (under Rendering)
several choices for the amount of detail you want in the fonts (where
I assume that the more detail the more CPU is required). you can
choose "monochrome", "best shapes", "best contrast", or "subpixel smoothing".

then click the details button and you have additional settings, you can
choose among 3 settings for "smoothing", and four for "hinting". I always
choose the "best" settings for all 3 of those properties, and I find
the fonts look pretty good.

on that details screen you can also choose subpixel order, where I
assume the choice should match how  your display hardware works. How
does one know how it works? I don't have any wisdom here, but I think
you could examine the left edge and top edge of the LCD screen with a
magnifier powerful enough to see the subpixels. Probably the defaul of
"RGB" is correct for most screens, though.

So, there's no need to go hacking amongst system config files!

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,