On 01/15/2017 02:44 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
On 15/01/17 19:25, JD wrote:

On 01/14/2017 02:34 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
On 13/01/17 23:52, JD wrote:
Has anyone been able to make this work.
The USB tv tuner I thought I would get for cheap is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-TV-Stick-Tuner-Receiver-Adapter-Worldwide-Analog-for-PC-Laptop-DVD-/282323120651?hash=item41bbc4f20b:g:inEAAOSwd4tUF~E1

If it will not work, what does work with tvtime ?

PS: I was thinking of watching digital VHF/UHF broadcasts.

I used to use tvtime several years ago, when it was strictly an analog
system. I haven't followed later developments. The url also says the
device is analog.  I don't know how many analog tv signals will still
exist in your area; perhaps fm radio.

John P
Hi Stan, Doug and John,

I found this RTL-SDR FM+DAB DVB-T USB 2.0 Digital TV Stick RTL2832U +
R820T Tuner Receiver at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTL-SDR-FM-DAB-DVB-T-USB-2-0-Digital-TV-Stick-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-Receiver-/222264849114?hash=item33c00472da:g:jfcAAOSwYIxX7Ghk

I have not ordered it yet, pending your feedback about it.

I quote from the web page:

Note:
Please make sure your region can receive DVB-T signal.

... which is likely to be true mainly in Europe, Australia,... If you are in the US and if Over-The-Air TV is accessible for you it's likely to be in ATSC format. Google tv standards.

Hardware and software for TV reception must fit your location. I don't know where you are. linux compatibility cannot be assumed, and chips may be substituted without notice. All those pictured system disks will be for Windows - and the pictured antennae will/may work only very near a transmitter.

For 'tuners' the main formal source of info is the linux-media website, but there's a lot of anecdotal stuff around too. Last time I looked the linux-media list was heavily developer-centric.

The proposed purchase is certainly cheap, but I doubt that you will find it useful. Do you want a system that will work, or an excuse to cultivate frustration?

I've used MythTV for years, but getting a reliable system isn't trivial.
I hope that I might find amature stations that are broadcasting in the DVB-T standard. At least I hope to find such stations within the 150-250 mile reception range of an external antenna.
A little scanning never hurt anyone :)