On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 06:40:50PM +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 02/26/17 18:08, bruce wrote:
> > Morn guys...
> >
> > The following works as a test ssh to fire off a remote cmd. However it
> > waits for the cmd to complete befor returning. I'm looking to run th
> > cmd as a background on the local/calling instance. Ultimaely, I'll be
> > testing this from py/php scripts.
> >
> > ssh -t user1@67.205.151.05 'cat /cloud/hash2.dat | wc -l'
> >
> > -would the following work?
> >
> > ssh -t user1@67.205.151.05 'cat /cloud/hash2.dat | wc -l' &
>
> It runs the (complete) local ssh cmd (including it's parameters) locally in
> background. If you want to run the remote cmd in background
> (cat /cloud/hash2.dat | wc -l) you must add the "&" before the closing "'"
> and not after.
>
> But this means your ssh command likely may exit before the remote cmd
> finishes. Is this reasonable?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Joachim Backes

Two other considerations:

Where is the output from the pipeline sink (wc -l in this case)
going to go?  Without the ssh connection, it will go to stdout,
either closed or set to /dev/null.

When the ssh connection terminates, I suspect its children
processes on the remote to receive the "Hang UP" (your parent
has died) signal and will likely commit suicide.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jo...@jgcomp.com