Actually my account is configured for pop. I tried the repair folder ansd it made no difference. I did find a solution. I renamed my gmail account entry on thunderbirrd and created a new entry for my gmail account with the same info. This ended up with thunderbird downloading email from late 2016 to the present, and is now downloading current email. Not a real solution, but I'll live with it.

Paolo