On 08/04/2017 05:13 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 8:42 PM, Sherman Grunewagen <sugarwa...@gmx.com>
wrote:

That was the problem! Nice catch.  I'm clueless as to how previous
kmod-nvidia modules have built and run.  And I don't understand
why, when running akmods as root, the "make" process is unable
to "see" inside /usr/local/include (nor why it needs to, but that's a
different question).

But turning on the "other" permissions did the trick!
I would not have guessed it.

Well, akmods runs as root, but the script that actually builds the package,
akmodsbuild, runs as a normal user. You should never build software as root
:)

Glad that was it!

Thanks again, Richard.

Your comment about akmodbuild does make me scratch my head because it
raises the question (again) of how the previous three builds
worked. My /usr/local/include permissions have not changed
in years. (When I install a new Fedora I always overwrite /usr/local
with my existing one, keeping all permissions and ownerships the same.

All I can suppose is that the update to the gcc suite now causes the
compiler to take a look in /usr/local/include whereas before it
didn't, or if it did and couldn't, it went on gracefully. If my
guess is correct, this seems like a bug since there's nothing needed
in /usr/local/include.

-Sherman