On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Gordon Messmer writes:
>> On 11/05/2017 05:36 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, with systemd, nobody really knows how it works,
>>> apparently.
>>
>> There do appear to be a few people here who don't understand how it works,
>> but that's hardly systemd's fault.  This specific subject is documented
>> thoroughly:
>>
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/
>>
>> The short answer is, on a default current Fedora system, you simply need
>> to run:
>>
>> systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
>
> Now, as I see it, this boils down to a one word, simple question:
>
> Why?

Because that's the way that systemd's been designed.

It's unfortunately convoluted :(

> Do we really expect that one should actually do that?
>
> Using privoxy as an illustrative example: is it really so unreasonable to
> expect that installing a package called "privoxy", and if this "privoxy"
> package requires all IP addresses to be up, before it runs, then installing
> this package makes sure that this actually happens, that it starts up after
> all network interfaces are up?

It wouldn't be unreasonable. It'd be better if services depending on
the network being up could express that dependency and have it be
respected without having to enable another service (that itself
depends on the network management software in use).

To paraphrase Donald Trump "networking is difficult." Early versions
of systemd had a crappy interaction with networking but it's been
improving version after version; however, upstream might not consider
the current wait-online situation broken or lacking...

systemd isn't the first sysvinit replacement to encounter problems. I
remember an Ubuntu bug where nfs (mounting?) was failing on a
multi-nic system because the condition for starting the job was that
any interface other than lo should be up (IIRC, the upstart syntax was
something like "net-device-up iface!=lo") and the non-nfs interface
was often/always up before the nfs one. In practice and
implementation, "networking is difficult."