On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 07:25:12AM +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 06/11/2017 22:59, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >>I bought a NAS dual bay device with 2 1TB drives that have been
> >>configured in Raid 0 mode for around $250 - $300 Australian. I am using
> >>the device as a storage device and for streaming videos to this Fedora
> >>machine and a Raspberry PI media player using Kodi. I have the device
> >>mounted as both nfs and ntfs, but like mentioned in another thread the
> >>nfs mount point doesn't work anymore. I'll need to do some checking to
> >>try to determine why. i have had some issues with the ntfs mount point
> >>where I delete files under fedora, which fedora recognizes as gone, but
> >>windows and kodi still see the files.
> >Surely you mean NFS and Samba, or are you talking about two partitions?
>
> Sorry, yes, the 2nd mount point is actually cifs, and like indicated
> in another thread, this device doesn't work with the default SMB3.0
> that Fedora has moved to. Without the vers=1.0 parameter the mount
> command says the drive is down. The documentation for mount.cifs for
> the vers option says that smbV3.0 was introduced with Windows 8 and
> windows server 2012, but I think that is an over- simplification of
> the issue. I am accessing the same mount point under Windows 10
> without requiring any special configuration, which from the man
> documentation either Windows 10 is accessing the mount point with
> smbV3.0 or it is auto falling back to smbV1.0 for the device, hence,
> if it is auto falling back then Fedora can as well so why do we need
> to explicitly specify to do so?

I've got a low-end Synology box in RAID-1, have configured it to
require SMB3, and configured /etc/fstab entries for the synology mounts
to use only SMB3, and it all works like a treat.
I'm running this on Centos-7, which is a sort-of cousin to Fedora,
so its hard to imagine that Fedora can't do SMB3 too.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?