On Tue, 2017-12-19 at 07:16 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Gordon Messmer writes:
>
> > On 12/18/2017 05:52 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > > Time IP addresses
> > > ======== ==================
> > > 08:35:34
> > > 08:35:35 192.168.0.1
> > >
> > > At 08:35:34 the server had no IP addresses
> >

> > Well, it probably had 127.0.0.1, which brings into question what the
> > complete state of the network was.
> >
> > Could you arrange to execute "ip addr show | logger" in your unfrak script?
> >
> > That way we get all of the interfaces and all of the addresses regardless
> > of
> > family.
> >
> > Could you also see if removing the "-s" flag from
> > /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service changes the
> > behavior of the system?
>
> Running just "ip addr show | logger" was not conclusive. Looks like the
> overhead of doing so delays things long enough so even the first time this
> actually runs all the network interfaces have their IP addresses already
> assigned.
>
> Removing the -s option from actually makes things worse. The script has to
> wait noticably longer before all IP addresses are assigned:
>
> Subject: systemd network initialization unfrak report
>
> Time     IP addresses
> ======== ==================
> 06:52:56
> 06:52:57
> 06:52:58
> 06:52:59 192.168.0.1
>
> Usually it's 1 or 2 seconds. Without the -s option it's 4-5 seconds.
>
> This seems consistent with the description of what the -s option does, from
> the man page. The way I parse its man page entry is that the -s option
> actually waits for more things to happen, before it's done. So removing that
> option makes NetworkManager's definition of when things are online occur
> much earlier.
>
> This is confirmed by running "ip addr show | logger" without -s option. This
> produces some useful results. This time, the first time "ip addr show" runs
> it's early enough so that the network is not fully initialized.
>
> syslog shows two runs of "ip addr show", showing no IP addresses configured
> on one of the two network interfaces. The 2nd network interface already has
> its IP addresses assigned. This is followed by some messages from
> NetworkManager, then another run of "ip addr show", showing all network
> interfaces with assigned IP addresses.
>
> emd[1]: Started Unfrak systemd network startup.
>
> Note that "ip addr show" ran as part of the script that has a dependency on
> nm-line.
>
> After reversing all changes, putting the -s option back in, and not running
> "ip addr", repeated boots shows the status quo being restored. The presence
> of the -s option reduces the additional time that the script needs to wait
> for all IP addresses to be assigned to 1 or 2 seconds. But it still has to
> wait, since nm-online -s -q returns too early.

I have read the nm-online man page about 10 times and I am still not
clear what it is telling me.

If your interpretation is correct I do not understand how removing the -s
option solves my NSF mount problem.

Aside:
I have confirmed on a second machine that with the -s option
present sometimes the NFS mount fails.

First 10 boots no mount failures                aha I thought!
Second 10 boots 2 mount failures