On 12/24/2017 10:00 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> said:
>> I defy anyone to identify a tangible benefit that comes from
>> removing a static IP address from a port when it loses carrier, and
>> installing one only once a carrier is present.
>
> It is useful for systems with multiple interfaces, for example a desktop
> with wired and wifi, and different preference default routes out both
> (so if the wired goes down, traffic can still go out over the wifi).
> Anything acting like a router also needs this behavior, typically in
> conjuction with dynamic routing protocols.

Routing fail over is not a good reason to totally unconfigure an interface,
especially on machines where there is nowhere else to send packets.
You should just change the default gw, maybe.

Carrier is a local thing, routing ability is a global thing, and trying
to mix the two is wrong. Should my ethernet be unconfigured when
the DSL copper cable in my router is unplugged? So, why should it
be unconfigured when the ethernet cable between my DSL modem and me is?

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it