On Sat, 2018-01-06 at 10:18 +0100, François Patte wrote:
> Le 06/01/2018 à 04:45, Matthew Miller a écrit :
> > On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 04:07:19PM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > > Yes, and for reference the current release is Fedora 27. Jumping
> > > straight to F27 might be risky, so I'd do it in four steps:
> >
> > Note that we _do_ test "n-2" upgrades like this now, so F25 to F27
> > _should_ work. The transaction test will tell you if there are
> > problems, so it shouldn't really be more risky in the sense of
> > causing
> > damage in some way.
> >

> I had never used this way to upgrade my systems. Where can I find a
> detailed description of this process? As I always had some problems
> install my config using anaconda (6 disks using raid+lvm), I fear to
> face some issues during the upgrade. Will the upgrade program give me
> complete and detailed description of what it will do *before* I press
> the nuclear button?

I think they are simply suggesting the DNF upgrade option, which is
shown here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade

That page is currently showing instructions to upgrade to F27, which
includes the line:

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=27

So Matthew is noting that people have tested, and found it to work, if
you run that "27" upgrade from an F25 system. You would simply follow
the instructions just the same as somebody upgrading from F26 to F27.

I run MD raid without using LVM, but note that the upgrade is not
making changes to how the system is installed. It is really just doing
a bunch of DNF upgrades to individual packages. It *is* a major change
in that every package gets updated.

That said, there are upgrades that introduce major changes. As systemd
was being introduced there were upgrades that were more scary than
normal.

If the F25 to F26 transition is doing something to change how RAID+LVM
is handled then hopefully somebody will jump in and give you a warning.

As to the question of what to backup...

Backup up your user date only if you know that you can redo all the
config options if you are forced to fully reinstall.

Backup everything if you want to make 100% sure that you save a copy of
every little file that might have some change in it that you might want
to look at later.

--
Doug H.