On 09/01/18 14:50, Frédéric wrote:
In any event,
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet"
is probably what is needed.  I would backup the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg just in
case.

Yes, I confirm that this works fine.

Thanks a lot,

I suspect that this sort of thing happens because a new installation of either nouveau or the nvidia packages will set things up to suit itself, but if it is then either removed or disabled it may not guarantee to leave the other driver in a workable state. Maybe partly blacklisted.

Is just reinstalling the desired driver likely to be effective in most cases?

If you want nouveau it might be a good idea to remove or erase anything found by 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia' too, I suppose, before the reinstall; and perhaps vice versa?

John P