On Tue, 2018-01-16 at 11:13 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 15Jan2018 22:57, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2018-01-16 at 08:17 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > > Last year we bought an HP Proliant G8. It has a cool cubic form mactor
> > > with 4
> > > 3.5" SATA drive bays. And an internal SD slot. We've got 2 8TB WD Red
> > > drives in
> > > it in RAID1, the OS on the SD card and /home on a 250GB SSD. That leaves
> > > 2 more
> > > drive bays for expansion/transfer/migration some time.
> >
> > Nice, though probably overkill for me.
>
> The proliant itself was pretty cheap, and we wanted the drive bays even
> though
> we're only using 2 right now.  They come in a few flavours.  They only have 2
> DIMM slots, so if you want to upgrade the RAM (we did) you have to replace
> the
> memory it comes with.  And if you upgrade the RAM, pay careful attention to
> buffered vs unbuffered - we screwed up, to our cost.
>
> > > Regarding backup for the server, we have a pair of 2TB WD MyPassport USB
> > > 3.0
> > > bus powered drives. One stays ion all the time, getting nightly backups.
> > > The
> > > other lives in a drawer, and we plug it in every so often to update its
> > > backup.
> > > That gets us nightly backup resolution plus an offline isolated backup in
> > > case
> > > of the OS getting comprimised, which could lead to the main backup being
> > > comprimised.
> >
> > So you backup 8TB on a 2TB drive? I guess most media server files don't
> > really need backing up as you can always get them again. I don't back
> > them up myself.
>
> I'm on the end of a wet piece of string. And our media server is not full. It
> will become an issue at some point, but I have a complex plan for that.

The downside of knowing about this stuff is that there are so many
options :-) It took me ages to decide to move my media off the NAS and
onto a larger HDD on my desktop, but it was definitely the right thing
to do.

Last night I started wondering if I could rip out the drives on the NAS
and build one myself using a Raspberry Pi and FreeNAS, so that'll be
another maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

> [...]
> > Thanks for the input. I've now got the NFS+Samba combo working, after
> > some head-banging until I figured out the SElinux parameters I needed
> > to change (could this *be* more obscure? no meaningful error messages
> > in the Samba log until I Googled them and a light dawned).
>
> On of the features of SELinux is that apps don't know what's wrong. Perfectly
> configured permissions etc simply don't work. I can't describe how happy that
> makes me.

I can understand apps not knowing the problem is SElinux. I can't
understand Samba saying:

canonicalize_connect_path failed for service WinBackup, path
/storage/Backups/Win10

instead of saying 'there was an access problem'.

Cheers

poc