Check for errors in the httpd log file (typically /var/log/httpd/error_log).

So you don't have to enter your credentials every time, create /root/.my.cnf
with
permissions 700:
[client]
user=root
password=hunter2
^^Use the real root password.

Check to see if the install program created any tables:
mysql gallery3 -e 'show tables;'

You should create a separate login for the gallery3 user and grant it
privileges.  root should only be used for administrative stuff.

Make sure MariaDB's logging is turned on:
mysql -e 'set GLOBAL general_log=ON;'

Re-run the web installer using the new user instead of root.  Then check
the MariaDB general.log to see if that user was allowed access.

HTH,
Bill