On 14/2/18 8:59 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 02/14/18 05:23, Stephen Morris wrote:
I use Negativo17 because in the past I have found that rpmfusion were very tardy
with their Nvidia binary files in keeping pace with kernel version changes. I
have
all the negativo17 repositories enabled and all the rpmfusion repositories
enabled,
so far without any apparent conflicts, which may just be luck on my part.

You know, if you use akmod-nvidia from rpmfusion you don't have to worry about a
binary being available in the repo as the binary will be built locally on your
own
system when a new kernel is installed.

Simple, easy.  No muss, no fuss.

I am now using the akmod version and the dkms version as backups to the binary version, so that if a kernel matching version has not been produced then it would be compiled. The issue with the source code path with dkms (it don't know if akmod is similar) is that by default dkms compiles against the running kernel so unless you have the dkms.conf set up correctly it doesn't compile against the new kernel at kernel install time, it compiles against the running kernel, and then it does another compile at next boot to compile against the running kernel at that point. The two main processes I use the dkms with are my wireless adapter driver and my mouse driver, both of which come from git, the dkms.conf file supplied with the mouse driver from the F27 repository supplied by the vendor has the necessary configuration, whereas for the wireless driver I have to manually edit the dkms.conf file to specify the necessary parameter to make. Both dkms.conf files use different methods to achieve the same result.

regards,

Steve