On 14/2/18 8:18 pm, Tom H wrote:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Stephen Morris
<samor...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
On 12/2/18 9:12 pm, Tom H wrote:
On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM, Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:
Also, I don't know what grub2-install would do to a GPT formatted
disk.
You can specify "TARGET" with "--target=". From the man page:

--target=TARGET

install GRUB for TARGET platform [default=i386-pc]; available
targets: arm-efi ... arm64-efi ... i386-efi ... ia64-efi ...
x86_64-efi ...
Thanks Tom. My statement was from having seen other threads on this
list saying to not run grub2-install on an efi system because it
wasn't needed.
You're welcome.

Chris M has said that grub2-install shouldn't be used on an EFI
system. Maybe it does the wrong thing when you don't specify
"--target=...-efi" because the default is "--target=i386-pc".

It could be. As I understand it the default functionality updates the mbr on the specified device, and from what I've read in other threads, I thought they said that to get the grub menu displayed at boot you don't update the mbr on an efi system any more, all that is necessary is to just run grub2-mkconfig.

regards,

Steve