On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Stephen Morris
<samor...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> On 14/2/18 8:18 pm, Tom H wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Stephen Morris
>> <samor...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Tom. My statement was from having seen other threads on this
>>> list saying to not run grub2-install on an efi system because it
>>> wasn't needed.
>>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> Chris M has said that grub2-install shouldn't be used on an EFI
>> system. Maybe it does the wrong thing when you don't specify
>> "--target=...-efi" because the default is "--target=i386-pc".
>
> It could be. As I understand it the default functionality updates the
> mbr on the specified device, and from what I've read in other threads,
> I thought they said that to get the grub menu displayed at boot you
> don't update the mbr on an efi system any more, all that is necessary
> is to just run grub2-mkconfig.

I'd be surprised if "grub-install" defaults to "--target=i386-pc" on
EFI if you don't include "--target=x86_64-efi" n the command. Maybe;
but I'd expect grub to detect that it's running on an EFI system...

I think that I now remember Chris M's objection. It's that the EFI
executable that "grub-install" drops onto the ESP isn't signed, which
is problematic on SB systems. Ubuntu's "grub-install" has a
"--uefi-secure-boot" option to install a signed EFI executable (I
_assume_ that "/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi-signed/grubx64.efi.signed" is
copied to the ESP) but Fedora's grub doesn't have either of these so
Chris must be right for the SB case.