On 20/2/18 8:54 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 02/20/18 04:41, Stephen Morris wrote:
    I'm using the nvidia drivers from negativo17. I have the nvidia source
module
registered with dkms and it seems to be being compiled when I get a new kernel,
if
that is the case what do I need to do to resolve the following messages shown by
"dmesg"?

[   14.934074] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[   14.934086] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[   14.934087] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[   14.943865] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key
missing - tainting kernel

When you load a proprietary module into the kernel it becomes tainted.  There
is no
way to "fix" it.  It is like replacing the battery in your iPhone with a
battery you
bought on the street corner.  You have voided the warranty.

I been in the situation of compiling kernel modules in other linux distributions where you could put statements in your source to stop these messages, but I have forgotten what they were.

Looking at dmesg again this morning, and searching for the work 'taints' I get the 2nd message listed above but not the first message (why?), and this search displays a message in the same format as the first message for my wifi driver which is also compiled, but I don't see any messages with the word 'taints' in them for the 6 compiled kernel modules provided by the vendor of my mouse that I am compiling via dkms. Of the 6 modules I am compiling one and possibly two are being actively loaded and used by the kernel, so why are these not producing the messages?

Also given that this morning I am seeing the equivalent of the first message for my wifi driver, but I am not seeing it for the nvidia driver, which makes it look like these messages are random, are they actually random or is the lack of the message and indication that the kernel is potentially not working correctly?

regards,

Steve