On 02/23/18 05:27, Stephen Morris wrote:
> From the responses I am getting it seems that the meaning of 'taints the
> kernel'
> has morphed into something else?

Here is the definitive list of what taints the kernel.  This is from the 4.14
documentation but is also valid for 4.15 kernels.

The numbers in the list correspond to the bit positions in the value supplied
by "cat

Why you don't get "tainted" messages in your dmesg output or journal?  Don't
know....and I'd not be interested in chasing it down.

I've a small program that converts the value from proc-tainted into real info
if you
need it.

A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out