On 03/06/18 12:10, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-03-06 at 08:55 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> do you consider the footer

>> equally "unnecessary as bad weather"?
> An unsubscribe address, if a robot responds it in a comprehensible
> manner, can be a useful thing.

OK.  Why are you answer a question specifically directed at, and in response to,
something Wolfgang had written?  And why have you taken it out of context?

The context being that Wolfgang suggested that it is unnecessary to have a link
the archives in the footer since that link appears in the headers.  Thus, my
question
to him was, if the link to the archives is unnecessary because of what is in the
headers then doesn't it follow that the current footer contents are also
unnecessary?  It had zero to do with a question about the usefulness of what is
currently in the footer.

> I really do not know what's so hard about setting the list to put just
> *one* sane thing in the footer:  A web address for a landing page
> specific to this mailing list.  Let that page have a description of the
> list purpose, links to participation guidelines, links to FAQs, links
> to archives, links to managing your subscription, etc.
>
> Why is that so hard to do?

I don't know if it is easy or hard to do.  I'm not the list admin.  I would not
be
the one to create and maintain the "landing page".

> Why is that so hard to understand?

Of course you're offering a different "solution".  It seems to me the only
suggested
change to the "footer", until now, has been the addition of a link to the
archives.

--
If simple questions can be answered with a simple google query then why are
there so