On 03/10/2018 05:24 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
I can't find the documentation any more, but I have found documentation on how to use copy the create the target as a hard link or as a soft link. It is possible I have incorrectly remembered what I had read, or it is possible over time that the standard copy functionality has changed and now you have to explicitly specify that you want that functionality.

I'd forgotten the other system that works as you described: reflink.

"cp" supports a --reflink option, and on a few filesystems that implement it (btrfs, OCFS2, maybe xfs and zfs, I'm unclear on their status), you can create a CoW copy of a file.

Again, not standard behavior, not widely implemented, and relatively new, but this might be what you were thinking of.