Follow up:

With everyone's help, I cleaned up my SELinux homedir's
and set Samba's SELinux stuff right.

I still could not log in from lightdm, except to root,
when SLElinux was Enforcing.

And SEAlert was completely quiet.  And
     /var/log/audit/audit.log
was completely empty.

Then I got sneaky and created a new user in a different
root directory (/home2).  That worked.  Hmmmmmmm.....

So I renamed my $HOME director and recreated and empty
one.  That worked too.  POOP !!!!!!

So I though of trying to trace down who was doing it.  Gave
up and restored my user's directories from backup. That also
worked!

Yippee!

Thank you all for the tips.  I wrote down about five of them,
so I would not forget.  SELinux baffles me at times.

-T