On 13/3/18 9:05 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 03/13/18 05:47, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 03/13/18 05:20, Stephen Morris wrote:
Thanks Ed, I'll check the doco out, I was just expecting the command to do
exactly
what the help info said, output the information for all files, not just a
subset.
It *does* do exactly what the man page says.  You just have to understand the
"context" in which it is saying it.

Let me complete my thought.  Even take the "ls" command as an example.

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls
test  test1  test2

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls -a
.  ..  test  test1  test2  .test3  .test4  .test5

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls *
test  test1  test2

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ shopt -s dotglob

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls *
test  test1  test2  .test3  .test4  .test5

Oh, when it comes to ls, I've been gently reminded about -A

[egreshko@meimei test-dir]$ ls -A
test  test1  test2  .test3  .test4  .test5

Thanks Ed, I knew about the differences between the -a and -A on ls, and having had a look at the --help for ls and du again, I can see the subtle difference between the -a parameters on both commands. It just seems counter intuitive to me to have to issue another command (even if one knows of its existence) to get a command to function "properly".

regards,

Steve