On 01Apr2018 18:19, sam varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> wrote:
JD writes:
I have an app that has no manpage, but has about 170 html files,
all of which index into a subset of the 168 files.
I would like to use an app that will produce a single manpage like
text file.
Is there an app that can do this?

I don't know of one. You might need to roll your own. If this is a one off task then you can get away with various hacks that a general purpose solution wouldn't tolerate.

If this is your app and your documentation, I suggest you spend the time converting your app's documentation to Docbook XML, and then use docbook tools to generate both HTML and man page documentation from your docbook sources.

I have to say I've very -1 on anything that uses XML as a source format for human written content. It is massively hostile to authoring by hand.

There are plenty of popular human friendly formats out there like markdown and restructured text etc which render to various output formats.

'roff deserves an honorable retirement. It served us well, but the technology is more than just obsolete, it's prehistoric.

Prehistoric it is not. Old yes, showing its age yes. But prehistoric is flat out incorrect.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>