On 04/13/2018 10:10 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
When that happens, Windows always seems to damage the image on the USB
stick.  What the heck is up with that?

Hi Hugh,

I have to work on THAT operating system whose name I shall
not mention A LOT.  Not that I want to.  My customer base
is mostly small businesses and they can not run their
businesses without THAT operating system as THAT operating
system was won the applications wars for small businesses,
the one that is slow, expensive, and riddled with bugs.
And THAT operating system puts a roof over my head and food
on my table.  If I had enough Linux customers, I would dump
THAT operating system in a second.  If I come home from
a days work and am in a crabby mode, it is because I have
been working on THAT operating system, especially the
one where they CAN'T COUNT.  Linux is just plane
fun to work on, especially Fedora (RHEL and clones, on
the other hand, I won't get into).

I use Live USB sticks to rescue computers with THAT operating
system ALL-THE-TIME.  And what you describe happens to me
on a frequent basis.  I have taught myself never to insert
a Linux based flash drive into THAT operating system which is
running.  And when I forget, I have a spare.  It is a total
pain in the ...

When I get back to my Linux based office, I dd the ISO over
the corrupted stick.

When I have a stick with something custom on it, I will dd
the stick to my hard drive for later over writing when it
gets corrupted.

And be careful with THAT operating system, shutdown and
reboot are suspend and not shutdown.  You have to turn
"Fast Boot" off and do a real shutdown to get it to
take.  (I can provide instructions for that, if you need
them.)

-T