Hi,

On 23-04-18 16:20, Aleksandar Kostadinov wrote:
Hi,

I'm reading documentation [1] for Fedora on a USB stick. The only option to
have a portable fedora on a stick seems to be by creating an overlay FS and
this certainly leads to getting out of disk space at some point.

I would really like to create Fedora on USB that I can plug anywhere and work
off it.

I was thinking that perhaps I can just install regular fedora on a USB stick
like I would do on a hard drive. Then it can be updated and used just like any
other Fedora machine. Perhaps disable persistent logging and swap so that flash
memory doesn't wear out.

One issue I presently know about is dracut. It creates by default images that
only support a specific hardware. i.e. if I install kernel on a machine with an
nforceĀ  disk controller, it will put in intird only that module thus Fedora
will not boot on a machine with AHCI controller.

Maybe this wouldn't matter when all things are on the USB drive but then can
there be a problem with different USB controller modules?

I was wondering if anybody tried that and has tips for greated portability.

Just installing to an USB stick instead of running a live iso from
the USB stick will work. But USB sticks tend to be slow, someone else
in the thread already gave some tips for some better performing
USB sticks, but if you're going to spend some money on the hardware
side I've a different suggestion:

I often carry an extra Fedora install with me on a m2 sata SSD in
an usb enclosure like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JEYI-R8-TYPE-C-USB3-0-USB3-0-m-2-NGFF-SSD-Mobile-Drive-VIA-VLI713/32839908764.html

Or if you want 10Gbps USB-3.1 gen2:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M-2-B-Key-SSD-to-USB-3-1-Type-C-Enclosure-Card-Converter-Adapter-External/32863999463.html

This will allow you to use any m2 *SATA* SSD of your choice, and
these are often a whole lot faster then USB sticks.

Regards,

Hans