I recently upgraded an 11 year old laptop from F27 to F28. (This machine has
previously worked fine with many releases from FC6 onwards.)

The upgrade went apparently smoothly.

But now near the end of the boot sequence (filling-up teardrop turning
into a fedora logo), the cursor appears in the middle of the screen, but
doesn't move with either mouse or touchpad input. After a few more minutes
the fedora teardrop vanishes, leaving a blank screen with a frozen
cursor.

Alt-Ctl_F1..7 do nothing.

I can ssh in. journalctl shows (amongst lots of other stuff):

May 13 21:36:07 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.
May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Multi-User System.
May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.

There's nothing in the journal that leaps out at me as an error.

Any idea how to debug this?

(I upgraded a week ago; today I did a dnf update, but the problem persists).

--
print+qq&$}$"$/$s$,$a$d$g$s$@$.$q$,$:$.$q$^$,$@$a$~$;$.$q$m&if+map{m,^\d{0\,},,${$::{$'}}=chr($"+=$&||1)}q&10m22,42}6:17a2~2.3@3;^2dg3q/s"&=~m*\d\*.*g