On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 01:40:59PM +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 14:05 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

To search for reboots I'd click the "Find" menu, right hand side-bar,
if Google images is correct, and then search for "clean" - because
that's the word, IIRC,  the logs use to announce that some disk is
"clean" after a reboot (!).

In fact there's a 'Kernel boot' event which coincides with the last
time I rebooted the host, so it looks like it is forcing a guest reboot
either directly or implicitly through a GPU reset. There's also a
'Kernel power' event with a comment saying the kernel was rebooted
unexpectedly,

If that "unexpectedly" means the system crashed, I'd investigate
... ;)

Again: there should also be some "health" line (or something like
that) about your client disk in these logs, after reboot - tho I've
heard, IIRC, that NTFS were rather robust when it comes to
crashes. But I never could verify the latter.

though curiously this is timestamped 5 seconds *after*
the reboot event (probably just means the log was committed after
rebooting).

Same with Linux journalctl, at times: e.g. the system starting sleep
mode is tagged with times when the machine is actually up and running
again, after sleep-mode ...

Good luck!
Wolfgang