On 07/11/2018 03:16 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 11/7/18 8:47 am, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 07/10/2018 03:17 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> 1). Can anyone shed any light on why the install may have failed and
>>> what I need to do to work around it? I'm hoping I don't have to run a
>>> 'sudo dnf clean all' and then a 'sudo dnf system-upgrade --refresh
>>> --releasever=28 --allowerasing --skip-broken' to download all the
>>> packages again.
>>
>> I wonder if the --skip-broken is a problem.  Can you solve that before
>> doing the upgrade?
>>
>> I think the packages should still be downloaded.
>> Check in /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade
> All the packages were still downloaded.
>>
>>> 2). Where can I find the logs that would contain the error message so
>>> I can read what it said, given that /var/log/boot.log and
>>> /var/log/dnf.log both don't contain the message?
>>
>> Try "dnf system-upgrade log".
>
> I issued that command and all it did was tell me there were 6 boots that
> appeared to have upgrade logs, going right back to the upgrade I did of
> F23 to F24, but the names it listed were meaningless to me and it didn't
> provide any path references to where I might find the logs to be able to
> search them.
>
> Following your suggestion I ran a sudo dnf upgrade which produced all
> the conflict messages that I worked around by adding --allowerasing and
> --skip-broken, but this time dnf said to try --best and --allowerasing,
> which I did and that installed all the package updates that caused the
> conflicts. Having done this I was able to complete the upgrade to F28,
> but now I have big problems.
>
> Under F28 my USB network device doesn't work because dkms can't compile
> the driver for it, and, either because of this failure or a compile
> failure the drivers for my mouse haven't been installed by dkms either.
>
> Booting into the latest F27 kernel I have installed which is 4.17.3-100,
> where both drivers have previously successfully compiled and installed
> (which is how I'm able to send this email), the mouse drivers still
> compile but the usb device driver fails to compile. Both with the F28
> kernel, being 4.17.3-200, and the F27 kernel I mentioned, the compile
> fails with stdarg.h not found, so I'm now confused about what the F28
> upgrade has done. The F28 upgrade should not have updated the F27 kernel
> source that was already installed and hence there should not be any
> barriers to compiling the driver against the F27 kernel when under F27
> it did compile.

Uhm, did you get the libstdc++-devel RPM installed? It provides the
stdarg.h file, specifically:

        /usr/include/c++/8/tr1/stdarg.h

Checking an old F26 VM I have, the equivalent file is:

        /usr/include/c++/7/tr1/stdarg.h

I believe the C compiler will find it if it's installed. Even if it
does appear to be installed, a "dnf reinstall libstdc++-devel" should
clean up any cruft your messed-up install may have left.