Hi,

On 17-07-18 14:45, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 17-07-18 03:35, pgaltieri wrote:
I just discovered that a whole bunch of packages just got deleted from my F27
system after doing an update.  This happened on 2 different systems.  I
discovered this after I had to reboot one of them because the laptop screen
went blank.  After rebooting it never went to graphics mode.  I discovered then
that the gdm package had been deleted.  I then looked at the dnf.log file and
it shows that 12 packages were updated and 119 packages were removed.  WTF?

The root cause for this is likely my bad, sorry.

I did a security update for soundtouch and I did not realize
that F27 was at an older version, so the update introduces
a soname change.

I became aware of this yesterday but did not immediately rush
to fix it, because dnf's normal behavior is to just ignore
the new soundtouch package due to broken deps.

AFAIK the behavior you are seeing should only happen if you
specify --allow-erasing or have set the same option
in your dnf.conf.

My apologies for this. I believe the main culprit in the
dep-chain leading to this removals is gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free
I will go and do a rebuild of that against the new
soundtouch right away (and after that also rebuild the
other packages depending on soundtouch).

Leigh already rebuild gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free for this:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-cfa159de56

Regards,

Hans