Allegedly, on or about 7 August 2018, D. Hugh Redelmeier sent:
> I (on Fedora 28) use Nautilus once in a while.  There is a handy
> feature that if you start typing a filename, it will do some kind of
> search for that filename.  Very, very slowly.

I'm using an older release, with the Mate desktop.  If I start typing a
filename, its cursor jumps to the files who's names start with those
characters, straight away.  And if there's more than one match, I can
cursor up and down between them.

> What I have wanted and expected is a filter of the filenames in the
> directory being shown.  That should be fast.  I don't know what I'm
> getting, but in the end it seems to be such a filter.

I've not seen any filter feature in (older versions of) Nautilus, but
have in other file manager programs.

In the past, I've used emelFM2 as a much more featured file manager, I
only consider Nautilus to be in the class of a file browser.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

I'd just like to say that vinyl record crackles and pops are far
less annoying than digigigigital mu-u-u-u-usic hiccicicicups and