On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 14:42 -0700, stan wrote:
> There's a big mail thread on fedora-devel about using a web forum
> software called Discourse instead of mailing lists.

I won't use them, at all.  I don't participate in any of them.  I've
looked at some when googling for answers, hated every one of them.  And
you're going to find a lot of that - unknown viewers who don't
contribute.

I participate in several mailing lists.  All my messages come to me,
I don't have to login to several sites to do what I do.  Forums are
massively inconvenient.

I see forums full of the same questions, so they don't change that
aspect of mailing lists (people asking the same things, instead of
checking first).

The few answers I see on forums are often crap, uttered by the barely
knowledgable, holding the wrong end of the stick.  Want examples, look
at the Ubuntu ones.

Webforums are an even bigger mess of quoting crap.

The separation of topics means a lot of clicking through to see what's
going on, as opposed to scrolling through one message list.

Webmasters like to keep changing how they work, so they're continually
being inconsistent, but nearly always inadequate.

There's usually more interface than content.

The interfaces are often diabolical for anybody with eyesight problems.

Browser incompatibilities...

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

A positive attitude is worth the effort if it annoys enough people.