On 11/7/18 8:11 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On 11/7/18 11:53 AM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
When a new Fedora is released, I immediately fetch the Live Xfce
Spin .iso.  As a Gnome hater, I want to avoid that entrapment.
I've always found Xfce perfectly suited for me.

This crucial piece of the release is missing at all the mirror sites
I've visited and, indeed, the file that lists checksums for all the
Spins omits mention of the Xfce-Live version.  I've been hoping and
expecting this omission to be corrected, but it's been over a week.

I did find one place:
   https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/download/index.html
that offers to "Download Fedora 29 Xfce Desktop", and I have done so.
However, there's no checksum that I've been able to discover.
It's in the same directory as the image(s) (as noted downthread now).

Thank you, Jonathan Dieter, for discovering and advertising this location
of the official "checksum for unofficial F29 Live Xfce".

This webpage has a frightening all-black notice:
   Although this spin failed to compose for the final release, this
   test compose contains fixes over the final content to allow for a
   successful compose and should meet most users' needs. You can verify
   the test compose image with a dedicated CHECKSUM file for 64-bit and
   32-bit images.

I would be grateful for someone to translate this into plain English.
The way Fedora does composes for releases is that everything is composed
at the same time from a common set of inputs. This means all the
deliverables use the same packages, the same groups, etc. Some
deliverables are "blocking", which means that Fedora QA folks test those
against release critera. If there's a release critera breaking bug in a
blocking deliverable, the release doesn't happen, and instead everyone
waits for a fix, the fix is added and then a new compose if fired off
and the cycle repeats. If there's non release blocking bug fixes they
can petition to be added into the next compose as well via a Freeze
break process, but if there's no blocking bugs the release happens and
those things that still had non release blocking bugs are just out of luck.

What happened with F29 is that the release candidate compose did not
have several non release blocking items (Xfce, LXQT, Astronomy spin,
etc). In the case of Xfce it was a package that had broken dependencies
and needed to be rebuilt. There were however no blocking bugs in
blocking deliverables, so that compose was shipped as the release.

In order to avoid not shipping those things at all, release engineering
worked out the fixes for them, and recreated them from the release
candidate compose + whatever fix they needed. So, the Xfce image there
has a newer ibus package than all the rest of the release does. It
should work fine, it just wasn't produced in the same way as normal with
the rest of the compose.
Thank you, Kevin Fenzi, for this expanded and more informative
explanation.  It is exactly what I was looking for.

I do hope, though, that next time around F30 will include a Live Xfce
spin in the distribution tree, even if it has to be an "unofficial" version.
I and many others depend entirely on this component of a release.

I think it means that there's something wrong with this .iso image,
but I can use it, maybe.
Yes, you should be able to use it just fine.
I will proceed to use this .iso on all my machines with greater confidence.

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        d...@datix.us         www.datix.us