On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 10:21:33PM -0800, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 11/14/18 2:38 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
Mounting an internally installed disk on a laptop spins up all
disks connected to this machine via USB. And I try to prevent these
externally connected disks to spin up.

Are the externally connected disks mounted?

No.

/dev/sda: Device of type 'scsi' [SCSI] detected
/dev/sda [SAT]: Device open changed type from 'scsi' to 'sat'
/dev/sda [SAT]: Device of type 'sat' [ATA] opened

(On a side note: I'm astonished that a smartctl simple info flag is
changing some device type like shown above)

Not really strange. /dev/sd* used to refer to SCSI disks, so it starts out assuming the drive is SCSI. After checking it, it determines that it's actually ATA and continues accordingly.

Thanks. I already was suspecting it was something along this line ...

Wolfgang