On 11/18/18 1:42 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
I also created a new user and it behaved similarly but slightly differently. When I logged in with the new user I made the mistake of not changing the default so it logged into Gnome, and when Gnome started Networkmanager had a definition for ethernet and my wifi even though they had not been explicitly set up, and the wifi definition had the correct password for my router as the network was connected.

Ethernet is normally automatic, no configuration required.
By default, NetworkManager stores the password in a keys-* file. I've never tried making a connection not global so I don't know what would happen in that case. I assume that somewhere along the way with your KDE tests, the password got stored. When you used Gnome, it would have the password already.

I logged out of Gnome and logged into KDE, and went into the networkmanager wifi definition and deliberately set the wifi password to an incorrect entry from the correct entry that the definition had. The incorrect entry was not retained and neither was the correct entry blanked out like in the original issue, or something was overwriting the incorrect entry with the correct one.

It would seem that something isn't working quite right between KDE and NetworkManager.