On 11/19/18 9:05 PM, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-11-19 at 06:24 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 11/19/18 5:51 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>> Sure, but if the user is in the United Kingdom where they use GMT,
>>> then presumably they
>>> would run their entire system in GMT, whereas other locations may
>>> or may not want to, so
>>> the motherboard should provide that option, and I have had
>>> motherboard that do offer the
>>> option, and I have always set them to local time.
>> People in the "UK" won't use GMT/UTC  as they also "spring forward"
>> and "fall back".
>>
>> The time zone of a system is establish by the symbolic link
>> /etc/localtime.
>>
>> Their link will be set to "../usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London"
>>
>>> If the time configuration is being set by the OS, and F28 doesn't
>>> seem to have the
>>> options to do that setting, especially for daylight savings time,
>>> how does daylight
>>> savings time get set/unset correctly, or is the fact that this F28
>>> system has been
>>> upgraded from older Fedora distributions that did have the options,
>>> and the option to
>>> tie the time maintenance to a Network Time Clock, that those
>>> options have been
>>> retained but hidden by F28?
>> The zoneinfo files have all the info necessary to determine when
>> "daylight" time begins
>> and ends.
> and if you want to run the hwclock to be in local time rather then UTC
> you can set the system to honor that from the CLI:
>
> [louis@travel ~]$ timedatectl --help
> timedatectl [OPTIONS...] COMMAND ...
>
> Query or change system time and date settings.
>
>   -h --help                Show this help message
>      --version             Show package version
>      --no-pager            Do not pipe output into a pager
>      --no-ask-password     Do not prompt for password
>   -H --host=[USER@]HOST    Operate on remote host
>   -M --machine=CONTAINER   Operate on local container
>      --adjust-system-clock Adjust system clock when changing local RTC
> mode
>      --monitor             Monitor status of systemd-timesyncd
>   -p --property=NAME       Show only properties by this name
>   -a --all                 Show all properties, including empty ones
>      --value               When showing properties, only print the
> value
>
> Commands:
>   status                   Show current time settings
>   show                     Show properties of systemd-timedated
>   set-time TIME            Set system time
>   set-timezone ZONE        Set system time zone
>   list-timezones           Show known time zones
>   set-local-rtc BOOL       Control whether RTC is in local time
>   set-ntp BOOL             Enable or disable network time
> synchronization
>
> systemd-timesyncd Commands:
>   timesync-status          Show status of systemd-timesyncd
>   show-timesync            Show properties of systemd-timesyncd
> [...]

If you do that it will modify /etc/adjtime to add "LOCAL" to the end of the
file.  The
next time you run "timedatectl" you'll get this warning.

Warning: The system is configured to read the RTC time in the local time zone.
         This mode cannot be fully supported. It will create various problems
         with time zone changes and daylight saving time adjustments. The RTC
         time is never updated, it relies on external facilities to maintain it.
         If at all possible, use RTC in UTC by calling
         'timedatectl set-local-rtc 0'.

The goal here is to have all log entries easy to search and have no ambiguity.
The proven
way to do that is set the hardware clock on the BIOS equal to the time in
UTC/GMT.

--
Right: I dislike the default color scheme Wrong: What idiot picked the default
color scheme